On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Robinson Tryon
<bishop.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud@gmail.com> wrote:
I think that the most promising alternative would be to set up OpenID
service on TDF infrastructure.

between fedora,

I poked around, but couldn't find any publicly-accessible OpenID
service provided by Fedora the OS (I didn't poke at Fedora Commons).

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenID

I have not tried to get one myselft, but I have seen them used to log
on to gerrit.

launchpad, yahoo, fb, blogger, wordpress, etc... there
are already plenty.

Lots of people don't trust any of those services. I'm hesitant to
require contributors to enter into a trust agreement with a 3rd party
such as Canonical or Google as a requirement to contribute to
LibreOffice development. If it's at all technically possible, I think
our developers should have a choice.

That ship has sailed.
We _already_ require that.
The only problem now is that google is leaving the field.

Feature #308 (New): single sign-on for bugzilla and redmine
https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/308

that is not an infra-related bug.. that is a Bugzilla 'bug'.

Insofar as we want to make it easier for people to use our bug tracker
(and other project resources), I see it as something of concern to
both our QA and Infra teams.

'Infra' is about providing and infra-structure and insuring its
availability, not coding new features in upstream project.

there are a couple of seemingly abandoned attempt

Yep. I'd like to avoid having Persona for Bugzilla + MozTrap and then
a separate OpenID for Gerrit, Ask, Redmine, TDF Wiki, etc.., but
perhaps 2 sets of logins are preferable to 8.

Having a TDF hosted openid will not solve that issue.
and unless there is a universal single-signon method supported by all
these tools, this is just the way it is.
Solving that problem is an effort to be done upstream, in bugzilla and Moztrap

btw:
http://www.eweek.com/blogs/security-watch/mozilla-gives-up-on-persona-single-sign-on-for-now.html

but if we seriously want a hosted system, the only thing that is know
to work is LDAP...
I'm not quite fluent in ldap, but I am under the impression that it is
not well suited to 'open public registration' kind of scheme....

Norbert