Hi Christian,

On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 14:23 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
When I played with the crashtest setup I noticed some limitations in
the current layout of the crashtest-setup that prevents just using
lots of cores/high parallelism to get faster results.

        Oh - these sound a bit silly =)

The problem is that it is parallelized per directory, but the amount
of files in a directory is not evenly distributed at all. So when the
script decides to start odt tests last, the whole set of odt files
will only be tested in one thread, leaving the other CPU-cores idling
around with nothing to do.

        Interesting; if we know how many cores we have, surely we can just get
each thread to do a 'readdir' and divide that into <n> chunks - and
tackle the N'th of those (?) Or is the reason we do that to make
stitching together the reports simpler ?

Didn't look into the overall setup to know whether just segmenting the
large directories into smaller ones is easy to do or not (i.e instead
of having one odt dir with 10500+ files, have 20 with ~ 500 each.

        Presumably there is no real reason to do anything odd to the
file-system - we can partition the work in whatever way seems best (?)
with some better, but still simple algorithm for partitioning /
reporting ? but - honestly, it's no use asking me - this is Markus' baby
- I'm sure he has a plan =)

        ATB,

                Michael.

--