On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 08:57:21PM +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM, Jean-Baptiste Faure
<jbfaure@libreoffice.org> wrote:
Le 28/10/2014 17:13, Markus Mohrhard a écrit :
[...]
** real hardware
*** about 800€ for a 64 core, 256GB memory machine (Florian)

800€ only, really?

monthly cost in case that wasn't clear :-)

https://www.manitu.de/root-server/pro/root-server-pro-qs/ (set memory
to 256GB and add some of the storage disks)

Sooo, thats:

 9600 EUR/pa

compared to:

 (365*24 hours)*0.417USD/hour+5216USD = 8868.92 USD = 6719 EUR/pa max.

for a c3.8xlarge Linux Heavy Utilization Reserved Instance in Oregon running
full throttle all year[1]. And while the manitu server has more cores, Amazons
Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2 is more that twice as fast per thread than the Opterons
6272 on the root-server[2]. Actually, amazons offer is already breaking the
front-up cost even after ~6 months -- and we save costs should there be
downtimes for any reason.

As such, I seems to me a reserved ec2 instance is still the way to go ...

Best,

Bjoern

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/purchasing-options/reserved-instances/
[2] I should know, I have those Opterons in Big Bertha.