Dear Bert,

I am glad of it. Yes, it is not a bug. Thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,

László

Dear László,

Thanks for your answer. You are right, substrings.pl turns out to be exactly
what I need.

So I guess this is not a bug. I missed the section about the substrings
script in the README, although it is made obvious enough with warnings etc.
:)

Cheers,
Bert

Dear Bert,

It seems for me, that your hyphenation patterns haven't been processed
by the substrings.pl script of libhyphen distribution. Could you check
it?

Thanks for your bug report,

Best regards,
László

Dear László and others,

We think we may have found a bug in libhyphen. It could be that it is
just a
limitation of the algorithm, but anyway it's an issue for us.

The problem is that some patterns in a dictionary are ignored in some
cases,
namely when the match string of that pattern is a part of the match
string
of another pattern, and more specifically when it's not just a prefix.

Let me clarify that with an example. When a dictionary consists of these
two
patterns, the word `foobar' is not hyphenated because the first pattern
is
ignored:

oo1b
foob

The second, longer pattern doesn't even have to match, as the second
example
shows (the first pattern is still ignored):

oo1b
foobz

I have a patch that solves part of the problem:

https://github.com/bertfrees/libhyphen-nar/blob/adc2b74a19469e4dc93777fcdb82e36e566a0472/src/patches/bug.patch

With this patch the given examples will be handled correctly, but in
other
situations it will still fail, such as here:

oo1b
foobaz

Have I indeed found a bug here, and does my patch make sense, or am I
just
expecting too much and are we hitting the limits of the algorithm?

Thanks for considering,
Bert Frees