I've been trying to get a grip on bug fdo#70588 "Accessible labels in alerts claim to be ROLE_PASSWORD_TEXT instead of ROLE_LABEL". In short this bug makes text inside message dialogs unreadable to screen readers (on all platforms).

I've followed the code around a bit and it seems to be an issue with different WinBits that has the same value, more exactly WB_WORDBREAK and WB_PASSWORD has the same value and indirectly set the AccessibleRole to PASSWORD_TEXT.

In newer message dialogs here is were the WB_WORDBREAK gets added:
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/vcl/source/window/layout.cxx#2046

Here is were the AccessibleRole gets set to PASSWORD_TEXT (due to the fact that WB_WORDBREAK is set)
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/accessibility/source/standard/vclxaccessibleedit.cxx#226

I should probably mention that WB_READONLY and WB_NOLABEL has the same value, but that has only positive effects in the above mentioned case because labels in messageboxes should of course be read only.
*
**Does it make sense to change the values of WinBits or how does one deal with a problem like this?*

For quick reference to WinBits:
http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/include/tools/wintypes.hxx#211

--
Regards