Le 11/10/2013 11:21, Stephan Bergmann a écrit :

But what was the story with mysql-connector-ooo, these days apparently
enabled via a switch called --enable-ext-mariadb-connector?  That switch
is off by default, and it is not mentioned in any distro-configs/*.conf,
so appears to be effectively dead code.  Or was that the extension that
cannot be included in installation sets for whatever reason (and is only
included in our source tree to make it easy to build it)?  I guess
Lionel knows.

To the extent that I can get a successful build, I have been building on Mac OSX (and to a certain extent on Linux 32/64 for testing purposes), near enough on a daily basis, with a kitchen sink approach to the extensions because no-one else does them - certainly not TDF.

I rely on that mysql/mariadb connector extension being buildable via that switch as the connector extension is by far the most capable solution for me (and I am not alone judging by the requests on the user's list) for accessing a mysql/mariadb database, rather than say, using JDBC or ODBC. If the plan is now to retire that switch, needless to say, I will not be very happy, unless there is some other failsafe, guaranteed, multi-OS/arch way of doing it.

The same goes with the other extensions. Perhaps it is not in TDF's interest to have all that spurious extension code lying around, but in that case IMHO a clear decision should be taken to either exclude it from the repo, have it hosted separately with instructions on how to build/install. Honestly, if we are no longer going to care for the "ext" extensions that are currently in the repo, why have them at all ?

I'm merely attempting to understand the reasoning into the decision-making process that determines whether or not an extension makes it into the main code, and at the moment I'm at a loss to understand how that reasoning works, as it all seems rather opaque to me. As regards licensing of the mysql/mariadb connector code, my understanding was that we now build with LGPL code completely, or did this not happen in the end ?

Sorry, if I appear a bit lost here, but I am.

Alex