Hi Miklos,
See my comments below.
Thanks,
Adam

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos@suse.cz> wrote:

Hi Adam,

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 05:35:12PM +0300, Adam Fyne <Adam.Fyne@cloudon.com>
wrote:
We are doing some work on implementing 'Smart-Art *Preservation*' in
Writer.

Meaning – if the user does    WordèLOèWord    round-trip we plan that
they
won't lose their Smart-Art object.

Currently Smart-Art is being imported into *simple shapes* in Writer
(which
don't exactly look the same), and most of the actual data and binding
between shapes is lost (not to mention it doesn't look the same).

In order to preserve the original Smart-Art object – we would plan on
(e.g. Miklos's great 'InteropGrabBag').

This makes sense, yes.

In addition, instead of showing to the user simple shapes (that he can
currently edit and move around) –

we would like to change this and show the user a *locked* bitmap of the
smart-art, that the user cannot manipulate (so that he can at least
preserve the original Smart-Art).

What is the benefit of this, from a user's point of view?

Because at this phase, we are not going to add logic to 'manipulate' the
Smart-Art object,
so if a user is allowed to changed the location of the shapes, and then
saves back the file - and opens it in Word -
he won't understand why his 'changes' to the shapes weren't persisted.
That's why we believe it is best to simply not allow any changes, because
they won't be persisted anyway.

Should we take a different approach that maybe pops a message when
a DOCX with Smart-Art asking the user:

*"We noticed you are importing a DOCX with Smart-Art. Would you like to
preserve it and keep it un-editable or convert it to simple shapes ?"*

And then act according to the user's choice? (choosing simple shapes will
lose the 'Smart-Art' functionality, while choosing 'preserve' will not
let
the user edit the smart-art, only see it).

This is certainly possible, e.g. the ASCII filter asks for encoding
IIRC, the CSV import filter is also interactive, but one popup for every
smartart is probably a bit too much, imagine a presentation containing
100 smartart shapes. :)

The idea was to show a single pop-up for 'all Smart-Art' objects in the
file - asking
"do you want to convert the Smart-Art in this file to simple shapes (and
lose functionallity) or preserve the original Smart-Art objects ?"

Miklos

--

[image: appicon.png]

*Adam Fyne*