On 20/08/13 08:18, Andrzej Hunt wrote:

Additionally, I'm considering whether it's worthwhile specifically
detecting the error that occurs when trying to open/create an embedded
db with fbclient in order to show a more obvious dialog -- this should
be fairly simple (I still need to make the error reporting a bit more
user friendly anyway for fb).

Also, I could maybe adapt the Driver class to not supply
"sdbc:embedded:firebird" as a supported url scheme when we are running
fbclient, I still need to look at how this could be verified. This might
not be such a good idea though since then trying to open a .odb with
embedded firebird will probably result in a cryptic "driver not found"
or similar error, whereas the above solution will result in a specific
error message.

why not simply a build-time check, e.g. check (grep) in configure that
the link flags for firebird don't contain "fbclient" which is surely wrong.