On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 01:18:30PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
New commits:
commit 91ec774c9fff46af6800e75315561e86167fe5d1
Author: Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu>
Date:   Fri Aug 9 10:28:51 2013 +0200

    $CC --version is too unstructured

    Give up and revert to "$CC -dumpversion".
    Since by now no test now refers to patchlevel, make it unavailable in
GCCVER so that nobody tries to use it.

 Seeing all these commits about checking GCC version, does it
actually make sense to do such checks?

It seems that most usages of such checks were eradicated, latest by

 commit 1e0feb5cf916fada5dc2db66a358649624ece578
 Author: Luboš Luňák <l.lunak@suse.cz>
 Date:   Fri Aug 2 14:18:22 2013 +0200

    do not base feature checks on gcc version

I had the first patch of these series in my local tree "for a long
time" (before your commit above), because I-don't-remember-what-bad
happened because my gcc was detected as being 4.7.0 instead of
4.7.2. Today I fatefully decided to push it...

Concretely, we have only *two* places where that information is used:

 - check that version is at least 4.0.0 (line 2936)

 - test for thread-safe statics

I guess we can drop the test for >= 4.0.0 altogether. So, if "someone"
rewrites the thread-safe statics test to not use GCCVER, we can bin
this whole "GCC version" definition.

--
Lionel