On 07/25/2013 11:24 AM, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
Is there still hope in reconstructing the rationale for old <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=718c0fe73251be083d032f0905880058128d4054> "Ported sfx2-remove-check-update-on-fileload.diff from ooo-build"?

I'm asking because, trying to verify <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=0d874ee2e452ea67c03a27bf1a7f26d0ffc617dc> "Fix configuration access path for "URL" group member," I noticed that uui::NewerVersionWarningDialog and css.task.FutureDocumentVersionProductUpdateRequest are dead since then, so if we are convinced that that was a good change, we could clean up now.

Well, I don't remember ever committing that, and I'm surprised that even the committer name was me. Anyways, I can imagine it was done because, at least for the Linux distributed version of OOo, it was not necessary to check for new versions the way the vanilla version did, because each distro's own package management system was supposed to take care of the update need (and I believe this is still valid today). Plus it was hurting the start-up performance IIRC.

That's all I know about this.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice Calc hacker, SUSE.