On 10/07/13 09:25, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
You make a good point. I wouldn't go into the "alternatively", because
temp files are typically deleted on computer startup / shutdown and /
or on user logout / user login, so thinking of crash / power loss
recovery, temp dir is not such a good idea.

Is that true? Not on systems I know :-)

Windows is very bad at deleting temporary files. I think temporary files
are pretty much guaranteed to survive a power fail.

And it's definitely NOT true of a *correctly* configured linux system.
That said, how many people know how to configure their system correctly :-)

/tmp explicitly makes no guarantee as to the lifetime of files in it.
Many distros do indeed auto-clear it on boot, and on my system it's a
ramdisk.

But /var/tmp is where you're supposed to store temporary files you want
to survive. It's where vi stores its files, I gather, which is why if
your system crashes it can recover your editing session ... (Says me,
who until I discovered this, had /var/tmp as a ramdisk too ...)

So if you want to, I'd say "alternatively" is fine. Just investigate
first, because there might be a few "surprises" out there.

Cheers,
Wol