On 03/07/13 18:09, Petr Mladek wrote:
I am not sure what is the scope of your installer rework but I have
several dreams :-)

1. It would be great to reduce the number of Linux packages:

        + get rid of libobasisX.Y-* package names; the layer structure
          is not longer used, so all packages should use the
          name libreofficeX.Y-*.

        + merge all the core* subpackages packages into one package
          called libreoffice; The names are confusing because
          nobody knows what belongs to which coreX. I do not see
          any real advantage of the split.

... but while doing that make sure that the upstream package names don't
collide with common distro package names.

3. Split only help to extra installer on Linux and MAC:

      + by other words, it might be nice to package Linux and MAC the
          same way like we do on Windows; It might improve the user
          experience because users are not used to run another installer
          just to get localized UI

      + well, I am not 100% sure about this move. The fact is that
          the Windows installer allows to "easily" select which
          localization is installed. I am not sure how it works
          in the MAC installer. It won't be easy on Linux if you
          have all RPMs in a single directory.

meh... Mac does not actually _have_ an installer, you just drag an icon
in a .dmg and drop it somewhere...

... and anybody who is crazy enough to install upstream Linux packages
instead of what the distro ships is by definition a system administrator
and not an end user who needs to be coddled.

while we are dreaming aloud how about

  4.) the Windows installer should automatically download help-pack for
      the selected languages and install that