Hi, Michael, Stefan.

2013/4/9 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks@suse.com>:
        Well, we could include a text file with a mapping from uno command ->
image name in the code if you want; it might even not slow us down too
horribly at startup if we're lucky ;-) [ perhaps we might save something
from reducing duplication ].

I'm ok with that. If we can count how many duplicate images (for UNO
commands) does exist, we could know it is pointless or not.

        In general short filenames have some benefits - they are duplicated
twice un-compressed in each .zip file - in the directory and also in the
zip pre-amble to each file. We saved a chunk of space there by moving a
ton of images into cmd/ instead of res/commandimagelist/ - there are a
lot of icons.

        So - I'd like a clearer idea of what we want to achieve in fdo#30425
before going too much further.

I suppose

        In particular, we can't rename UNO commands without breaking backwards
compatibility - so IMHO the only really useful approach here is to have
a mapping.

Hm... I didn't mean to renaming UNO commands, I just said that how it
is implemented leads to some duplicates.

What about other icons, then? There's a lot of inconsistency and
"encripted" names... [1]

        Perhaps starting by adding a concept of textual symlinks (to reduce
duplication) that are theme specific might be helpful. You can see where
images are loaded:

        vcl/source/gdi/impimagetree.cxx

        IIRC there is really only one 'real' method there: doLoadImage - I
guess we could build a symlink cache in there that would (on first icon
lookup) try to load & parse a 'links.txt' file in the .zip (preferably
we'd pack that at the beginning), that had:

cmd/lc_notthere.png cmd/lc_isthere.png

That's a way to go. Simple to implement and simple for an
artist/designer/"themer" to do it also.