Hi Shruti,

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 20:42 +0530, shruti gupta wrote:
I am a third year undergraduate student pursuing a degree in
Information Systems. I am interested to work with LibreOffice for GSoC
2013.

        Sounds like you have a great skill set :-) welcome to LibreOffice.

I am really interested in Android Application Development. I have gone
through the list of projects provided on GSoC-2013 Ideas page. I am
interested in the following projects:

        There is already significant interest in the Android / Impress Remote
and some very good candidates that I'm aware of - it is also a task that
can only accept one student.

      * User Interface Projects

        This is a scalable task though:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Dialog_Widget_Conversion

        Which would be fun and useful too - and potentially have some
application to mobile devices if we can map glade-XML to native android
widgets in some cases in the future.

        In general though we're trying to significantly reduce LibreOffice's
dependence on Java - since we can't rely on it being there on Windows,
and of course the first use pays a very heavy JVM bootstrap penalty.

My skill set includes: C/C++, Java, basic Python, Android Application
Development.

        It's a good set; have you considered this project:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Package_and_improving_LibreOffice_Viewer_for_Android

        It might match your skills well.

Currently, I am going through the pointers provided. It would be great
if anyone could provide insights on the same that could be helpful
towards better execution of the project.

        Failing that - there was a task to do some work on pluggable python UI
that Matus might be able to specify / mentor you for: to allow arbitrary
python scripts / extensions to render arbitrary UI elements in place of
our current toolbars / menus. That might fit your skill set well if
you're interested in UI hacking. Matus - when you've done your setup /
heavy-lifting there it would be great to get a GSOC task specced up
here.

        HTH,

                Michael.