On 25/03/13 10:16, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Sat, 2013-03-23 at 11:19 +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
Wouldn’t it also be beneficial for developers as well in the sense
that the build and compile only what they need as well as for build
bots too?

Build bots should IMO build what's being delivered (e.g. documentation, tests, etc) to ensure they still work as a minimum.

        Perhaps - avoiding the compile-time unit tests also speeds things up
for developers - but it's not something we recommend or advertise :-)

Generally, with the Tracker project (which is dwarfed by LibreOffice in terms of size naturally, but which has many functional and unit tests) we don't enable these by default and only the core developers tend to enable them to make sure we catch the problems before releases. This should be eased further if you have buildbot/farms/etc. For people generally trying to build and use the project from source, you could argue it's more of a hindrance than a benefit.

--
Regards,
Martyn

Founder and CEO of Lanedo GmbH.