On 03/12/2013 11:41 AM, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
Hi there,

I'd like to ask whether someone actually uses this Pivot Table data
provider extension framework, because I'd like to remove this if nobody
is using it, or only few people are using it.

I have a cunning idea. Since one of the difficulties on this is to reach out to the actual users of this functionality, I'd like to remove the 4th check box from the current pivot table data source selection dialog in 4.1 (and maybe 4.0.x if you guys agree) and see if anyone reports it as a "bug".

To recap, the current "Select Source" dialog offers 4 choices:

* Current selection (cell range in sheet)
* Named range
* Data source registered in LibreOffice (database connectivity)
* External source/interface (data provider)

and I propose to remove the last choice from this dialog as the first step.

If, by 4.1, nobody complains, then we assume it's safe to remove this. If someone complains, then we'll start a dialogue with that person (or persons). Even then, I still would like to remove this UNO layer but offer some sort of alternative if the current database connectivity is not sufficient (for whatever reason).

What do you think of this plan?

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc