I had a quick hack at the:

        make module-deps

        thing - and wrote the world's worst performing algorithm (in perl) to
process it into a graphviz graph.

        Most of the time is spent eliding redundant dependencies; by which I
mean if 'foo' depends on 'vcl' and 'sal' - we should elide 'sal' which
is implied by 'vcl' - to improve the graph.

        Anyhow - that produces one of the nicer stacks of deps I've seen in
recent time [ I also elide all the unit-test and random executable rules
to avoid horizontal bloat ]:

        http://users.freedesktop.org/~michael/module-deps.png
        http://users.freedesktop.org/~michael/module-deps.graphviz

        And - the result even looks slightly sane which is nice [ and is
auto-generated with a neat idea of Bjoern's from make itself ]. Of
course, improvement for irredeemably bad graph algorithms appreciated;
master has the latest.

        HTH,

                Michael.