I'm a new contributor.

Welcome!

I've attached the patch file which was based
off of master in the git repo.

Thanks. I am verifying it but it looks fine.

One small detail: Please keep the commit comment lines under 80
columns. Not sure if there is any technical reason for this, but it's
our convention.

there were an obscene amount of warnings (Mac OSX 10.8.2).

Were those in the bundled 3rd-party libraries (like icu, nss, etc) or
in LibreOffice's own code? Our own code is supposed to be warning-free
with most current compilers (except a few separately handled places,
where we use #pragmas or options to make warnings non-fatal, or go
away). It is a good idea to configure your build with --enable-werror;
then the -Werror flag will be used when compiling LO's own code, and
any warnings will cause the build to stop.

code is contributed under the LGPLv3+ / MPL

Ah OK. It might be easiest to give a blanket statement about past and
future contributions instead of remembering to say this with each
change,

Also, nowadays it is easier (we hope) to submit and review/accept
changes through gerrit instead of email. See
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/gerrit . (I hope that
is the relevant wiki page...)

Cheers,
--tml