On 02/05/2013 11:36 AM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Sun, 2013-02-03 at 18:26 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
GTK have been enabling ligatures and other default OpenType features
since ages (since before I started using computers :p), so probably the
situation is not that bad.

oh, I forgot, we also don't have proper cursor positions for ligatures
either!, that's another epic lack.

And do we have decent support to let the user specify where not to use ligatures in the input? Or do users need to insert explicit U+200C ZWNJ with their input method of choice?

(At least for German, where ligatures need to be broken quite frequently, I generally don't understand the enthusiasm for ligature-enabled fonts anyway, as in the hands of incompetent typists they lead to more harm than good. What could probably help is to have automated rules that tell the computer where to break ligatures, similar to hyphenation rules.)

Stephan