Hi Lubos,

On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 18:42 +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
currently our build system adds -DHAVE_XXX options to the compile command
line for various settings, which does not quite scale, and does not cause
relevant files to rebuild, so the common practice nowadays is to use config.h
file(s).

        Agreed.

 There are more such -D options that could be changed, although with some it'd
be better be careful, e.g. OSL_DEBUG can't go there, because it can be
overriden by command-line, and I'm not sure if adding #include
<config_global.h> to sal/config.h would be really included everywhere where
needed.

        Personally I love it :-) I've wanted to have the bandwidth to work on
this for years. I also really like the separation of module specific
configure settings to avoid some catastrophic cascade of badness when
re-configured with fairly minor differences in options (re-running
autogen.sh regularly is really normal). I assume the AC_DEFINE magic
uses autoconf's existing ability to detect and avoid changing timestamps
where there is no difference in the header.

        So - modulo some bikeshed over where to put the config.h's I think it's
great.

        Some care/thought should be given to ensuring that the URE/ODK still
exports whatever limited set of these defines we need [ to be fair the
ODK needs some real dunging out action - and should have it's samples
built as we compile to stop it from bit-rotting too but ... ].

        So; love it ;-)

        Nice work,

                Michael.