Enrico Weigelt wrote:
Why not ? There are so many gtk-applications running fine in KDE.
IMHO (not an KDE-user so didn't check it), the l+f will be just
like Qt.

I doubt that. Also there's more KDE platform integration than just
the GUI. As long as there's someone actively maintaining that
(relatively small) part of the code base - which is the case - it is
really not a question that we do want to keep that. In fact, it is
rude to suggest otherwise.

Why would you consider that kde and gtk are the same 'platform' and
Mac and Windows are not from a UI perspective ?

[snip]

My idea was, consolidating to one crossplatform widget toolkit for
*nix as the first step, which should be pretty easy. Later also
consolidate the other platforms (not sure how complex that would be).

By the way: anybody working on porting the gtk or qt vcl to win32 or mac ?

Making platform experience worse for the overwhelming majority of
the user base (mac & windows) does not sound like a winning
strategy.

Then again, helping us to reduce application code coupling with our
GUI toolkit & improving user experience by making dialogs more
malleable is clearly a worthy goal - see Caolan's talk here

 http://conference.libreoffice.org/talks/content/sessions/015

, as currently the major hurdle to any changes in GUI platform
abstraction is the ton of code relying on vcl implementation
details. Would be awesome to get a helping hand with that.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten