On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 10:09 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
Hi Terry,

On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 11:25 -0800, Terrence Enger wrote:
Sigh.  My Linux machine is without internet access.  I have not succeeded in
building git on the Windows machine at my local library.  Just trying to
"make do".

      Ah - that is annoying; if you could get git working on windows (under
cygwin it should be easy to install I'd hope), then it should make your
incremental updates significantly quicker [ if you can get the git
protocol port open I suppose ].

I have net access again.  Have pulled updates and the build has been
running for about ten hours and has prceded past the step "expat
deliver", so I have high hopes.

The build of git on Windows proceeded for about three hours before
failing for missing `propmt`.  Until my next connectivity problem, I
no longer care.

I am not sure why the ftp port is a security exposure, but that
restriction cut me off from documents I have stored "out there".
Oh-oh, that reminds me of more stuff that I want to catch up on.

(BTW, I do not know whether this response will make it to the list.  Nabble
has drastically truncated my messages in the past, and not it warns me that
I am not subscribed to the list, even though I think I am.  Double sigh.)

      You shouldn't need to be subscribed to post to this list: which should
be a feature ! :-)

Indeed.  But even messages mailed from my subscribed address are
sometimes held for moderation.  Oh, well ...

      So sorry for the pain building; due to the 4.0 feature-freeze being
only ~2 weeks away, people are currently pushing quite a lot of features
they had stored up - and trying to finish other pieces and ...
unfortunately the effect is a tad de-stabilising for the build :-) That
is expected to improve markedly post branch.

Sorry for the noise, but restoration of connectivity had been promised
"soon" for most of the time I was disconnected.

Maybe I will be able to get a bug report filed to make life even a bit
busier <grin />.

Thanks,
Terry.