Hi Norbert,

sorry I am late to this, extra conference, travelling etc.
On 25/10/12 13:47, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Michael Stahl <mstahl@redhat.com> wrote:
if we simply replace the existing String uses with OUString we don't have to worry about that any more :)
that would be my hope
Well, you do need to worry, if you want to enforce the language spec (although these are pretty weak and fuzzy)
that's unfortunately typical with MS vba
Right know we seems to care about padding of fixed-length String on Init only (Dim)... I have not stumbled upon code that cares about that on assign and other manipulations... iow Dim foo as STRING*10 = "" dim bar as STRING "hello" foo = bar what should be foo? "hello" or "hello " This is probably not a 'generaly' solvable problem as this notion of fixed-size has been dropped post VB6.0, and now everything is var-len with a max at 2GB. iow old and new spec conflict. So I guess my question is: while migrating to OUString, should we care about the corner-case and other oddities associated with 'fixed' String.
I would say no ( otherwise some support for fixed strings would need to be introduced for unknown if any benefit ), in fact a quick test on master and 'Dim bar as STRING "hello"' doesn't even compile, I would guess this feature has been broken for probably years ( personally never heard of this syntax before ) - need to get some idea how long it is broken though ( I will check soon )

btw for your question "what should be foo? "hello" or "hello     "
yeah, I guess if we did things properly imho the latter would be correct ( should again check that with ms vba )
Norbert
so for me it seems the best course of action is to just solve this in the limited case ( e.g. just transition to oustring without considering the 'other' string manipulations ) I will try and find out how long this is broken, that should influence whether we decide to even drop this ( most likely not even used ) functionality

Noel