Hi everyone,

I started working on changing my bluetooth code from using gdbus to dbus-glib -- dbus is necessary to control bluetooth on linux systems -- but I'm not sure about how to proceed regarding the various dbus libraries and their availability:

gdbus is included in glib >= 2.26 (i.e. since 2010), dbus-glib is included in the LO codebase and works with all versions of glib (as far as I can tell).

Currently dbus-glib is only used in vcl with gtk, and it is only compiled when --enabled-dbus is used. (The doc on the autogen.sh page states " Determines whether to enable presentation mode screensaver control under GNOME via DBUS.") It appears that this isn't very commonly enabled (default is off, and only enabled for OxygenOffice in distro-configs).

dbus-glib is used in tubes.

I think it would be worthwhile having bluetooth working by default for the remote control. Should I:

1. Port my code to dbus-glib and always build dbus-glib? Or port my code to dbus-glib and leave everything else as is, meaning bluetooth on Linux needs the user to use --enable-dbus? 2. Have two versions of my code, use gdbus if available, else fall back to dbus-glib unless disabled, else disable bluetooth (the dbus code is minimal, and I already have to use ifdefs for every OS there).
3. Stick with gdbus, i.e. no bluetooth unless compiling on a modern system?

On a related note: would it be a good idea to add a "enable remote control" checkbox to the remote control dialog, and have remote control possibly disabled by default in case people are worried about having LO always open a port?

Cheers,

Andrzej