On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 09:36 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
"At least in my understanding, firehosing information from gerrit to the
ML was not only intended for the advanced reviewer crowd, but also for
relative newcomers to the project, where the idea is that the discussion
of other people's patches on the ML gave them a sense of how we treat
those newcomers' patches, give them opportunity to pick up advice by
osmosis, etc.

        Yep - there is clearly value in that :-) assuming we're kind and
helpful to newbies. My concern was that so much of the mail was utterly
banal - these: "+1 but not merged" with no concievably useful comment
content, embedded in a huge mess of a mail with duplicated information
etc. etc. is clearly just noise.

"But anyway, you win a little, you loose a little, there's no setup
perfect for all."

        Perhaps having a check-box / setting somewhere to 'send this
comment to the list' for when we did a substantive review I guess;
or ... some other magic way of both de-cruftifying the E-mails down to
just the useful content or ...

        :-)

                Michael.