So what I ended up doing is thinking I would work backwards, so I did a grep for the most obvious password related phrase:

"Save with password" which is an option while saving.

I found a single src file that had this phrase so I thought "PERFECT!", the file:

fpicker/source/office/iodlg.src

I decided I needed to do a check before going any farther so what I did was change the text of "Save with password" to something else ("Do you know the muffin man!?")

I then compiles libreoffice for the first time, thinking 2 hours max, ended up being 10 hours (running a VM with 1 gig of RAM probably at fault). I opened soffice, and...damn

still reads "Save with password" when I go to save as

Not sure how this can be the case as it's the only instance of Save with password in all of the source files I thought it MUST be the right one.

Any ideas how this can be, I like working backwards so it'd be nice to see what I'm missing. Thanks for the help