Christian Lohmaier wrote:
To turn that back into a development discussion - using ghostscript
out-of-process, like we do it for xpdf/poppler, to convert (e)ps
into something digestible by LibreOffice is one of the long-pending
solutions to that problem.

That is what LO already does - as last choice when the two preferred
alternatives are not present.

Hi Christian,

hah, now I recall - you even worked on that, no? Anyhow, sorry! :)

That needs a fair bit of hacking, but would love to provide you or
anyone else interested with code pointers.

Given that the preview is used for printing, one halfway solution is
to not only create a replacement when the eps doesn't have one
already, but always.
When there is no preview in the eps, LO tries to run pstoedit (output
as emf), convert (output as png) or ghostscript (output as 8bit color
png, at least older versions often had problems with orientation).

What I had in mind is a somewhat more tight integration of gs - that
yields high-level vector information w/o the need for an
intermediary format.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten