Only sent this to Kohei... sending to list, too, now.

On 12 May 2012 12:09, Stefan Knorr (Astron) <heinzlesspam@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

On 11 May 2012 17:50, Kohei Yoshida <kohei.yoshida@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Michael Stahl <mstahl@redhat.com> wrote:

i wonder if that restriction is really necessary.

IMO it is.  Imagine a case where the same color scale definition is
applied to non-contiguous regions, and you having to decide whether to
scale those regions as if they are unified, or treat them as
independent ranges (therefore independent scaling).  Having that

Interestingly, MSO 2010 has a feature whereby it automatically adds
neighbouring cells to conditionally formatted ranges. For instance,
you can define A5:B7 as the range for the format. If you then click
into an empty cell at the bottom or right of your defined range (ex:
cell A8) and add a value to it, the range will automatically become
A5:B7;A8 [1]. So, while the two-or-more cells restriction still
applies[2], the continuous range requirement seems like it is reducing
Excel compatibility, to me (for better or worse).

Astron.

[1] Yes, over time, this leads to incredibly ugly ranges, but it is
very practical when e.g. doing monthly updates on a list.
[2] I believe what happens when when you set a colour scale for only
one cell in Excel and use extrema/percentages/percentiles, is that it
just isn't coloured at all.