Hi Eike,

I had a little further look,

On 25/04/12 10:37, Noel Power wrote:
maybe I am naive, isn't this complicating things ( right/left justified ? ) doesn't it just fill to available width ( granted with assumed knowledge of column width border size etc. ) with 0 or more of the character to repeat ? I would expect an existing left/center/right justification on the cell to be ignored when this 'special' format code is specified ( admittedly I haven't tried this... )
ok, I didn't test exhaustively but just some quick testing. Hopefully I changed the correct thing, with mso 2002 I modified the cell|format cells|allignment|horizontal ( used values center, left, right etc. ) which didn't seem to affect the display. So if I did tested the right thing then it would seem that justification is ignored in this case.

[...]
Afaics with mso ( 2002 at least) and libreoffice the formatter fails silently,
seems to be the case with again some quick testing ( which kindof sucks I guess )
I mean generally I suppose people just rely on the preview and/or applying the format to show you if the format worked. With that in mind I would specify ( in whatever specification blurb we might provide ) that we expect only one '*[char]' in the format but in the event of more that one occurrence we take ( to be decided ) either the first or last one and ignore the others.
again with some quick testing looks like in this case excel will take the last specified repeat and use that.

[...]

I assume also left/centered/right justification affects things for
leading/trailing fills.
unless Excel does this I would avoid such complication like the plague ( especially given my complete ignorance in such matters ;-) ) Saying that I didn't test even what would happen on the calc side with same :-/
see above, seems ( and imho sensibly ) to ignore justification when the repeat code is encountered
[...]

we could use

     String aFill;
     aFill.Expand( nNumCharsToInsert, mnChar);
     aTmpStr.Insert( aFill, mnPos);

to avoid multiple reallocations with character-based Insert.
we just should use that, I will change it thanks!
I *will* change that (just need  to get around to it )

thanks,

Noel