On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 01:38:09PM +0200, Michael Stahl <mstahl@redhat.com> wrote:
so "Office 2007" and "Open XML" actually do different things? i have
always wondered why the heck we have 2 of these but forgot to ask...

Not two separate filters, it only makes
GetExport().GetFilter().getVersion() (in docxattributeoutput.cxx) return
oox::core::ECMA_DIALECT.

For the import case, it isn't hard to parse both in the same filter,
since it's mostly about "left/right" vs "start/end" and so on.

i'd say that since evidently there is no relevant software that we need
to interoperate with that actually conforms with the "Open XML"
standard, our filter for it is a proof of concept that is mainly of
academic interest and agree that we should de-emphasize it in favor of
actual interoperability with whatever actual Microsoft Office products
produce and consume.

As far as I know Office 2010 can parse what we call the standard, but
Office 2007 can't. (Which is not a surprise, given that it was
"standardized" in 2008, if I'm not wrong.)