 However this appears to a Clang bug, in that it reports an incorrect warning,
probably it gets confused by the casts. I cannot actually trigger this code
to run, but in my small testcase, code like this generated the warning, but
worked normally. So I expect that whenever somebody actually reaches this
code, this will assert needlessly.

OK. I was afraid of that (and secretly hoped the assert would be
triggered soon enough and thus force the issue to be investigated by
some expert). But even better that you investigated it voluntarily,
thanks a million!

--tml