Hi Enrico,

On Tue, 2012-04-03 at 05:15 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
    What would be ultimately nice would be to rid ourselves of this
XRegistry 'stuff' and have a simple XML file, read into some simple
structures, and added to a couple of hashes for the common lookup
patterns we want. Is there any chance of doing that separately, so we
can sever the back-compatible .rdb reading for LibreOffice 4 mostly
by code removal ?

Maybe that XML file could even be mmap'ed, just having the index on
heap.

        mmapping is the least of our worries wrt. memory use and load
performance (read Stephan's nice write-up) :-) if we're truly worried
about the page-cache we could f/madvise DONTNEED after parsing; only if
we wanted to deal better with many concurrent processes touching the
same data would we mmap it; and then we'd need to switch to UTF-8
strings internally - and of course be rather vulnerable to SIGBUS'

 Depending on the actual structure and access patterns, the
whole thing could also be splitted into several files, and just use
the filesystem hierachy as index.

        Sure - but then we loose wrt. seek time on cold starts :-)

Do you already have some ideas how that XML file would look like ?

        Checkout services.rdb in the install; again do you actively want to
work on this ? or are you just offering the benefit of your insight ?

        Regards,

                Michael.