On 03/27/2012 04:21 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
        Well, we force page them in as we launch LibreOffice, and then we go

Yeah, the pagein hack. More a testimony that we are doing something wrong here -- trying to outsmart the OS instead of fixing it --, than a legitimate critique on the exception handling implementation, IMO.

throwing a handful of random non-exceptional UNO exceptions as we start
up, so ... not sure :-)

Routinely thrown exceptions indicate design bugs; addressable latest with an incompatible LO 4.

        Presumably exceptions are fair enough in the UNO-world where exception
throwing is done mostly for fun - before sfx2 throws all the results
away in favour of a user-reported, and translated 'General Error'
wrapper ;-)

That wrapper, more often than not, is a bug rather than a feature. I often wished that exceptions indicating programming or packaging errors were left unhandled, leading to easy-to-diagnose unhandled exception termination rather than unhelpful LO error boxes.

Obviously as we use UNO less for core functionality for
which it is not suited, I suggest we try to avoid using exceptions in
new code where possible, and try to avoid these highly granular
exceptions that ripple up from every trivial object allocation / string
method.

I still do not consider the eh table sizes problematic enough to dismiss exceptions as a useful tool. If you are concerned about object size, I'd rather look into things like -Os or generally removing cruft from our code base.

Stephan