On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:07:38 +0100, Thorsten Behrens <thb@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Marco Cecchetti wrote:
I am evaluating the possibility of participating to GSoC again
this year. I would like to know if there is interest from your
side (LibreOffice's side) that I write a proposal to complete
the project for the svg export filter on which I worked last GSoC.
The main goals would be:

1) Complete the port of the animation engine, so that we have
     slide transition working and more effects.

2) Modify the way text is exported, for enabling text animations,
     and maybe text searching.

Such tasks need to be more detailed, however they should be enough
for a GSoC project.

nice, yes, absolutely! We love returning students, and if we can
align this with what the mozilla guys needed, the better.

Yep, that would be a good point. Even if they are more interested
in an HTML5 solution, reworking text export feature will be a step
forward their requirements.

A few more nice things one could add:
 - use svg native gradients whereever possible

That would be nice, in the end it is a question of how long will
take the two main goals

 - embed the real svg graphic, for svg images

I think this one should be enough simple to implement.

 - as you said, check if/when to use native svg text, instead of
   glyh-by-glyph placements

So we agreed, glyh-by-glyph placement should be used only when
it is mandatory (e.g. text animations that apply on any single
character of a text string).

Cheers,
-- Marco