If Lazlo is happy to mentor it sounds fine to me - can you create a
well defined task statement / idea - which is bounded and clear ie. so
we can assess whether you are 50% through 100% done etc. Then we can get
that in the wiki for you.
It depends on Lazlo. He as owner ought to know what's better for his project. Nevertheless I will manage some wiki/blog related to my progress anyway. Be sure. ;)

        It would also be fantastic to have a mentor from the LanguageTool side
- there was talk of re-using / sharing rules from LanguageTool which
sounds like some dual-mentor-ship might be a good idea.
I really don't get the point of dual-mentoring clearly. Perhaps I will ask my ex-mentor (now I'm not sure how to call him exactly :-) ) from LT project (he's developer of my locale both spellchecker and LT). Perhaps you mean easy-to-port rules system. Then it's really hard. Because of Java and Python difference. Anyway I need Lazlo to talk LT guys.

        And of course, we'd want to have some easy-hack in this area committed
before we go too much further:-)  if there is no EasyHack in this area,
can you suggest something ? the real intention there is to make sure you
are fully equipped for the task, have everything you need (build-tree
wise) to get going, and are able to create&  send in patches.

I guess I will make some rules for English locale (not mine) for better understanding whether this rules are acceptable. Is it fine, huh?