Hi Cameron, Kendy, *,

Jan Holesovsky wrote (06-03-12 11:20)

This is some good research, I hope you don't mind if I CC: the devel
mailing list, and the UX advise list too? :-)

Really appreciate work on this subject!

I think this is actually a good question for the UX advise list :-)  My
proposal would be to get rid of the RepeatSearch functionality (and

I for one do use that quite often. And would be surprised if not more people do. Change to another short-cut is OK for me. And I guess people using it have little problem in remembering shot cuts, so if a change if needed for better consistency, another short cut for repeat would be more appreciated then removing it completely.

As for the accelerators not working when a text area in a menu bar is
selected, I think that might be a bigger problem. For example, this
also prevents things like ctrl-s saving a document, which could
potentially lead to data loss if someone doesn't know their work is
not being saved. I don't know what changing that would actually
involve, but I would be happy to work on it if people want that
modification.

Good point!  I have just checked, and it is a more general problem -
when you try that in eg. the 'Font size' combobox, you cannot do Ctrl-s
either.  Should I file an easy hack for that, or will you try to
investigate this one too? :-)

Maybe related: fdo#43822 ?

Cheers,

--