On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+libreoffice@googlemail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+libreoffice@googlemail.com> wrote:
[...]
+ a build point is identified by one and only one sha, which is
imperative to manage a build-farm ( gerrit+jenkins and the ability to
test-build every patches)

And I forgot:
Every change in one of the submodules requires touching the containing
repo as well (to update the submodule's version-info.

So to "test every patch" you cannot just use the containing repo. If
people check in stuff to one of the submodule but don't update the
containing repo accordingly, you won't see the change on your
buildmachine..

hum... that is covered by gerrit (whith 2.3, when you integrate a
patch on a dependent submodule it 'update' the parent accordingly

but still the previous points you mentioned about ./g are indeed true...
and managing branchand change in the submodule can be confusing (the
submodule get checked-out as a detached head, so one need to checkout
a branch/master before doing changes there...

still I'd like to find a way to get the buildbot to build things that
are not necessarily the HEAD fo a branch...
one thing I am considering is improving the external dependency
'fetch' to support git-based external, and then treat these git repos
as 'external dependencies'....

Norbert

Norbert