On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 16:44 +0100, Alexander Bergmann wrote:
Now --without-doxygen and --disable-odk look like they can be used,
too. Probably --disable-mozilla as well?

        Yep.

I guess it might be a good idea, to have a switch --minimal, which
disables all switches, which are not needed unless in special
situations.

        Sounds good to me; of course we should only use it for those bits that
are a known PITA to build cross-distro :-) no point in turning off eg.
internal python when it seems to work reasonably well.

 A side effect could be that less dependencies are needed and building
LibreOffice takes less time.

        Right; and recommend it to new developers for their first compile I
guess.

        As far as I've seen Java causes -the- most hideous, and needless
cross-platform / cross-distribution build problems - we use it for
increasingly less that is useful for fixing the vast majority of bugs
and easy hacks we have - which tend to focus on the C/C++ code.

        But of course, --minimal should not be our default build - only for
beginners (I guess?). Any chance of doing some hacking on that ? I
imagine the trick would be to ensure that we don't clobber settings
given in subsequent parameters: --minimal --with-java should work as
expected of course.

        All the best,

                Michael.