On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 10:19 +0530, Muthu Subramanian K wrote:
Its nice to see those patches. But, it will be nice to see/use the
tools/scripts directly

        So - -really- I'm less convinced of that. As I said - this busts our
history.

        It is true that we did a big whitespace cleanup in the past *but* this
was done by an ultra-fast C program working on every checkin that we did
during the one-git migration [ and it still took many hours].

        That way we re-wrote every checkin, and retained the history - but that
is some seriously heavy lifting.

        It is IMHO a mistake to encourage Alexander to create vast automated
patches that change nearly every line (in aggregate) to do small
stylistic tweaks; it breaks the git blame output.

. So, yes, I had asked him to give it a shot. I guess, the patch
is good as well?

        I merged it, but we don't want to see dozens of this sort of very-wide
ranging whitespace cleanup; there is a program that does this called
'indent' - and we could argue for a month about the settings to use, and
then run it for a month over a re-worked git import re-indenting every
revision so we don't loose history. If someone wants to do that - they
are most welcome to but it is a -big- job; and it will require every
developer to re-checkout a Gb of git repository after it is done. Quite
possibly we need to do that from time to time - but we should save up
such tasks to do all at once IMHO.

        So - as I said, it's better to work on some dead code removal or easy
hacks I think :-)

        Thanks,

                Michael.