Hi Markus,

Le 06/01/2012 00:49, Markus Mohrhard a écrit :
Hey,

I'm sorry but I have to correct one of our features from the release
note page. After some discussion I need to limit the maximum amount of
sheets in 32 bit builds to 10000 sheets. That should still be much
more than most people will ever need but we had some adventurous users
who tried to create 32000 sheets in 32 bit environments. Since we need
really much memory for an empty sheet ( around 120-150KB in a 64bit
build ) we got several reports of crashs because of a std::bad_alloc.

There are still a lot of other ways to crash Calc with a
std::bad_alloc but I hope that all other ways are better hidden and
will only occur if the user tries to crash Calc. In theory we should
work on catching std::bad_alloc but I recall that handling
std::bad_alloc is often tricky.

Any objections against limiting the number of sheets to 10000 for the
32 bit builds and perhaps for 64 bit builds too? I'm sorry for all the
problems I created with this.

No problem for me, I think 10000 is still very high.
I suggest you consider differently the number of sheets created by
default for a new spreadsheet. If you set this number of sheets to a
very high value the creation of the empty document take very long time.
So the user will have a bad user experience.

I have tried to reproduce the crash on Linux 64 bits by setting the
option value to 30000 and the creation of a new speadsheet took several
minutes. No crash but 5 Go of RAM. I killed LibO instead of closing the
file. Problem: when creating another spreadsheet I had still the same
option. Knowing that you can't access Calc options without having a Calc
document opend, how do you kill this vicious circle? Ok, easy for an
experienced user: open a small existing Calc document and modify the
option. I am not sure whether a new user can find the solution easily.

My proposition:
1/ Maximum number of sheets : 10000
2/ Limit on the number of sheets created by default: 20

Best regards.
JBF