Hi Alex,

On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 10:19 +0100, Alex Thurgood wrote:
Not being very conversant with git, I'm seeing the following problem on
my Linux box and don't know how to sort it out :

        Ah  - fun :-)

git pull && ./g pull
error: Unable to find c29667cde3f151a73d7302757a6eca316b886aa3 under
http://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/libreoffice/core.git
Cannot obtain needed tree c29667cde3f151a73d7302757a6eca316b886aa3
while processing commit 28b86ca7b704d2789cad69f7516203434202c082.
error: Fetch failed.

        So - this could happen in quite a few ways; most probably if you
committed something locally, then used git format-patch -1  to send it
off - and then someone else tweaked your patch before applying.

        I tend to use ./g pull -r # for rebase - that would perhaps try to
re-base your work on top of master & might unwind the conflict for you.

        Failing that; winding back your master can help:

        git tag -f here # backup tag in case we loose something
        git reset --hard HEAD~50
        git pull -r

        That winds back 50 commits and then re-pulls; of course if you have any
commits of your own, you'll now need to do 'gitk here' and cherry pick
them across.

        HTH,

                Michael.