Hi Thomas,

On Sat, 2011-12-10 at 14:57 +0100, Tomas Hlavaty wrote:
I would be happy with LGPLv3+ but I haven't found much on why was MPL
added and/or preffered for new contributions.  Could you please point me
to some discussions so I can make up my mind on this matter?

        Sure; so - the MPL is primarily there to make LibreOffice more friendly
to companies, such as IBM, who have an aversion to the LGPLv3 - and with
whom we hope to eventually reconcile into one big happy, copy-left
family again. It is a rather weaker copy-left license, and doesn't seem
to have done much harm to Firefox ;-) Making your code available under
it has been a criteria for including code into LibreOffice from our
launch. As you say, prolly we should have a write-up on that somewhere.
Having a just a few patches under a different license is rather a
problem - as/when the ASF manage to get OO.o under the AL2 license,
we'll do a big license/header change across the whole codebase, and then
(hopefully) stop having to ask everyone for this.

There seems to be agreement that the RDB type database should go away.
There are several LO projects that would be affected by this and they
seem rather complex with dependencies.

        Oooh - it'd be great to have some work on that :-)

As a proof of concept, I have created a unoidl2 project:
   git clone http://logand.com/git/unoidl2.git
This would allow us to get rid of the RDB files (although I need to
familiarise myself with current use-cases to understand the impact of
such change, e.g. merging in custom plugins).

        So, there are rather a number of hidden criteria for RDB files: that
they are tiny, instant to parse (and/or don't require parsing) - since
we get to do this quite a lot at startup (which is already not as
performant as it could be ;-). The data needs to be in a small (read
three or less) number of files - to avoid I/O seek latency on rotating
media.

The other affected LO projects would likely be:

        Well  all of these other guys -should- work on top of the
typedescription API (I would hope), so as long as that is in-place, life
will be good I think.

It might be interesting to generate vapi file for vala programming
language, for example.  Are there any examples of connection to
libreoffice from plain C?

        Sadly, the plain-C UNO bridge died a death some years back I think;
though this was originally intended to be possible [ the base sal/
library still has a C ABI/API ].

        HTH,

                Michael.