On 28/10/11 14:21, Terrence Enger wrote:
Noel,

I am sorry for a long response to an innocent-looking
message, but "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do".
[...]

As it happens, the leak was indeed the result of a program
error: the program was not calling SQLDisconnect.  But the
ODBC functions represent the whole rest of the world to LO,
and that gives the functions lots of room to go wrong
without implicating LO itself.  Hence my choice of
OSL_TRACE.

I have not addressed "nevertheless should be handled" from
S.B.'s comment: I do not know how to recover from a failed
function call.  OTOH, the leaked handle was evident only
because I happend to be watching drive statistics; later I
noticed failure code 'HY010' in the ODBC trace file.

What do you think?
honestly I wouldn't knock myself out worrying about it too much or getting into some sort of analysis paralysis trying to decide what to do :-) There seems to be many opinions about what should be used where, the only real consensus afaik ( if there is even that ) is that we wanted to get rid of the old DBG_XXXX macros ( which adds another layer of confusion to it all ). Without getting into a religous war about it I personally don't buy that OSL_ENSURE should abort ( I am though a believer in that behaviour for for OSL_ASSERT ) Perhaps I am abusing the true use for OSL_ENSURE, maybe there is a case for an OSL_WARNING ( but do we really need yet another macro ) How likely is this scenario to happen?, if it does maybe it does indeed indicate a situation serious enough to warrant a big red flag, since this doesn't affect production builds no-one is going to die, and if you pardon the pun since OSL_ENSURE and friends don't abort neither will Libreoffice ;-)

With thanks for your attention and encouragement,
Terry.

your welcome

Noel