On 17/10/11 13:11, Michael Stahl wrote:
On 17/10/11 12:15, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
does anybody know why on MSVC builds --enable-pch is not on by
default?

Don't know at what stage it was turned off, or whether it has ever
been on by default. Anyway, support for precompiled headers in a
MSVC build has presumably bit-rotted fairly badly by now. I recall
when precompiled headers was discussed maybe a year ago, and people
were saying that it should be used because it speeds up the build a
lot. I tried then, and eventually in some modules it was so broken
that I just gave up, had other things to do...

hmm... sounds bad.

but that was before removetooltypes, right?

How would precompiled headers interact with how we generate
dependencies (the -showIncludes switch, with output piped to a
Perl script), for instance?

so we don't use makedepend any more?

hmmm... no idea what showIncludes would do in the presence of PCH.

would be interesting to know if the PCH plus makedepend is
slower/faster than no PCH plus showIncludes.

aunt google told me this:

One interesting note about /showIncludes is that it will not show
anything you include with your precompiled headers. It only works on
active includes placed after your precompiled header file directive.
You can turn on /showIncludes by going to Project | Properties |
C/C++ | Advanced.

perhaps it is possible to use both showIncludes and PCH.