On Aug 29, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Kevin Hunter wrote:
In tracking down another issue, I've run across a number of object files that we appear to build
but not use.  Example:

g++ -o sal/unxlngx6/obj/bootstrap.o [...]

A few lines later in the build, we build this, with a few extra g++ arguments.  This is the
version that actually gets used elsewhere in the build:

g++ -o sal/unxlngx6/slo/bootstrap.o [...] \
-fpic \
-DSHAREDLIB \
-D_DLL_

Question: what's the point of building the first one (if any)?

Those files are built once to be included in a static library (via OBJFILES) and once to be
included in a dynamic library (via SLOFILES).  The static library was used to build some build-time
tools, IIRC, but appears to be no longer needed.

-Stephan