On Wednesday 10 August 2011, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
Your patches are fine for me and I pushed them to master branch.
However, they make me think that HTML 3.2 export is probably not a
useful option anymore... is there still a browser that can't handle any
more recent version of HTML?

I don't think there is, at least among the major browsers released within past
five years or so.

I'ld be in favor of dropping that option
completely or at least update it to something like HTML 4.

My ultimate goal is to reach a point where we could drop all browser specific
or legacy HTML formats and just have one HTML export format that works in all
browsers (or at least in those that 99 % of people use). Or if it turns out to
be impossible, just have the smallest set of variants that are needed in the
real world. With luck something based on HTML 4, CSS 2.1 and some subset of
CSS 3 might work pretty much everywhere. If not, then options like "HTML 4",
"HTML 5" and "HTML 5 + LibreOffice specific extensions" could be used in place
of the current selection.

The reason why I chose to approach this problem by making single features more
consistent is that this way the risk of accidentally removing or breaking some
useful features seems lower. That said, I don't see much risk in dropping the
3.2 export since any of the other export formats should render at least as
well in old and new browsers. I could write a patch to do just that unless
there are objections.

Harri