On Sun, 2011-08-07 at 11:32 +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
Ah, I found:
solenv/bin/linkoo:export SAL_ALLOW_LINKOO_SYMLINKS=1
sc/source/ui/vba/testvba/runTests.pl: $ENV{"SAL_ALLOW_LINKOO_SYMLINKS"} = "1";
toolkit/workben/layout/TEST:export SAL_ALLOW_LINKOO_SYMLINKS=1

I worked around this at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/ure/commit/?id=784641a19811c22208e7db8efa150e744348d8bf
in master.

Don't know, in the light of that, if we still need this proposed patch
then ?

Your workaround unsets that variable for the test, effectively saying
that the "else" branch above should not be tested at all. From a
general point of view, this looks fishy; if a specific subtest does
not apply to this branch, I'd rather disable just that specific
subtest; I mean the file sal/qa/osl/file/osl_old_test_file.cxx tests
for the SAL_ALLOW_LINKOO_SYMLINKS environment variable, and if it is
set, runs only the subtests that should pass. For example, in

The thing is that SAL_ALLOW_LINKOO_SYMLINKS is a foul and monstrous hack
to get make dev-install work in the sense that rebuilding a module will
make the installed install-set at "install" use the newly rebuilt
libraries without re-installing the install set and the hack tricks some
things into doing the right thing when you launch office where the libs
are all symlinks back into build tree[1]

I think the intent of the hack is to get attempts to find configuration
data and/or other libs which are in the same dir as the *symlink* to the
lib to be found, instead of searching in the same dir as the destination
of the symlink.

Anyway, I read SAL_ALLOW_LINKOO_SYMLINKS as "break things", but sure, I
don't think there are downsides to your patch, so I've pushed it now and
dropped unsetting SAL_ALLOW_LINKOO_SYMLINKS in the cppunit test.

C.

[1] better solution I hope is something like: finish conversion to new
make-based build system, and then build install tree incrementally as
the build progresses by directly outputting the libs into an install
tree structure. Current system misses out on ure/lib stuff I think
anyway.