At 6:07am -0400 Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Michael Meeks wrote:
On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 16:12 +0700, Samphan Raruenrom wrote:
Is there any work on LibreOffice to reduce memory usage of
LibreOffice Calc on large spreadsheets?

but IMHO -the- fundamental design problem with calc, is something
quite banal - the concept that a spreadsheet is built from cells:
without breaking that basic misconception I don't think we can do
any of the really interesting space / time optimisations we need to
do.

Can you elaborate a little on this fundamental design flaw? As a naive and unfortunately focused elsewhere personality, I don't immediately know of a better model for creating a spreadsheet. Is it "just" a problem of sparsity? Or is there a much more sophisticated method for memory sharing of various similar cell attributes, perhaps analogous to CSS?

Thanks,

Kevin