Hi Mike,

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 16:07 -0700, Mike Eberdt wrote:
seriously yet.  And as I understand it, a transition is underway to GNU
make, so I guess I've been a bit reluctant to put a lot of time into
learning the old build system.

        Yes - there is some horrible sterilisation of build related things due
to the change there - unfortunately, the change is taking a while :-)
not at all helped by the "stop until gnumake4 is merged" putting a big
mutex on any gnumake work for the last month+. Bjoern promises to
release that mutex this week.

 However, I didn't notice any info in the
Developers section of the Wiki about using the new build system, or
helping with the migration, etc.  Is this something that mere mortals can
contribute to, or should I just wait for the grand unveiling? :)

        Yes - something for mere mortals, and it'd be fantastic to have you
working on it. By far the best thing to do is to check out the
feature/gnumake4 branch - and build on top of that work - pick a module
to convert and work on it I guess. I don't think it's -that- difficult,
instead of reading any docs, I'd read the existing makefiles that are in
already converted projects - it shouldn't be -so- hard to untangle what
to do from that. Best to let others know what module you're working on
though.

        HTH,

                Michael.