Hi Jonathan, all!

Am Donnerstag, den 14.07.2011, 13:17 +0200 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:
On 14/07/2011 13:14, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
Jonathan Aquilina píše v Čt 14. 07. 2011 v 12:45 +0200:

This is exactly the behavior I had reverted from the reasons I have
described; to summarize: somebody who wants to print a selection knows
what she wants to achieve, but somebody who selected something by
mistake does not notice the default is to print selection, and is
confused.

Re reading what you said here, then set default like the web browsers do
and print whole document and if the user knows what s/he is doing then
they can take a sec to click on selection instead, no issues what so
ever and all parties are satisfied.

Kendy, thanks for the fix, as I already pointed out in our discussion on
the libreoffice-ux-advice list.

But, Jonathan, I doubt that we'll please all parties - especially with
regard to printing. Printing whole documents (which can be much larger
than web pages) is about time and costs - accidentally printing 200
pages is a mess, especially since average users are unable to stop
printing either in the OS or on a printer (anybody tried this on a
MFP?).

Earlier you proposed to show a warning - and Kendy said these aren't
read. Well, I think it is about balance between "information" and
"bothering". There are also other circumstances where hints would be
beneficial.

When I've worked out the today's printing dialog, I created a proposal
how to solve such "in-dialog message needs".

The wiki page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Printerpullpages/ContextualInformation

The mockup (the quick link):
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/6/6c/PrintDialog_ContextualInformationBar_GeneralDesign.png

So, dear developers, does this look interesting to you? ;-)

Cheers,
Christoph